The Best Way To End A Year
I’m very big on reflection. (Yeah… I know… Duh)
I am hard on myself. I see my weaknesses oh so clearly. And I make note of the ways I want to change and improve, of the ways I need to step up. I think this is incredibly important.
But you know what’s just as important (maybe even more so): figuring out what is amazing about the place I am at today and learning to be grateful for things just as they are. You see gratitude multiplies. Expressing gratitude today makes me feel more grateful tomorrow. I don’t know why (I have some guesses … but I’ll spare you for the moment) but I promise you it’s true.
So I am going to start to bring this year to a close by coming up with a short list (**wishful thinking on the short) of things I am supremely grateful for in 2017.
- My family. Enough said.
- My basic needs are met. I have shelter, food, water and heat for the winter.
- YOU GUYS. I am continuously grateful for you guys. I put myself out there all the time and part of the reason I feel so brave is that I know you all have my back.
- That my sister fell in love this year. I am so very grateful for that.
- That I can see some of my hard work starting to pay off professionally.
- For all of the people who have helped me make my music this year (the Mikes, Peters, Sats, Bonnies, Melissas, Dans, Brians, Marisas… to name a few!)
- For all of the artists I have started to mentor this year. They have taught me all sorts of things I didn’t know I didn’t know.
- For my health and my family’s health. We have recovered from some pretty major nonsense in the past decade. I am proud of us.
- For my dog Lucy, who is odd but lovable.
- For my friendships. They keep me sane. All day every day.
- For how far I’ve come in terms of my relationship with my body. I have pretty standard body image issues. There was a time where I would beat myself up for every bite of food I ate that wasn’t “healthy” or “good.” I’ve come a long way this year. And I am proud of that.
- For my very comfortable bed.
- For Africa and all the animals!
- That I get to sing on a daily basis.
- That a new year is coming. I don’t know what is going to happen but I’m ready and excited for a fresh start and another chance to create the life of my dreams.
- What are you grateful for?
Let’s do what we can to make the next year better than this one… to keep rising and growing and living…. Because we can.